Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 12 - Early AM - Synopsis of my experiences so far

Yes I'm still with it.  I've been a bit busy in the last few days to write.  So I've been meaning to write a little bit more about my observations during my nearly 2 week tenure of this experiment.

Many a times, I sit starting into space.  Wondering if this is natural?  Will it have any long lasting effects on me physically, mentally or even to my psyche?  I wonder if it's sustainable.  Let me shed some light on my experiences.

This sleep pattern definitely isn't for everyone.   One thing I have realized is that you must be committed to it, and cannot take it lightly.  If you do take it lightly, you're going to suffer.  A few such examples, I missed a few naps here and there.  Recovering from "misses" are extremely difficult as you end up hitting a wall.  Let me back up.  I started the experiment using the Uberman Sleeping Method which prescribes taking 20 minute naps every 4 hours.  After a few days I realized that every 4 hours wasn't going to suit me.  I adjusted my schedule to take a 45 minute nap every 6 hours.  This schedule seems to be working well for me.

The initial few days were a bit of a haze.  I felt like I wasn't completely awake and not asleep, rather in a zombie state.  The night time waking hours seemed a bit less difficult in terms of needing to be awake and cognizant. Productivity overall did increase, but productivity per unit of time seemed to have decreased.  I feel that this decrease was mainly due to the fact that I am fasting during the day, hence lethargy and lack of energy were to be expected.  I have about 2 1/2 weeks left and then the fasting period will be over.  I'd like to continue this experiment through the period where I'm eating during the day and then see how it is.  I'm guessing there should be a significant improvement in my cognitive state.

Again I feel like I'm jumping from one point to another as I haven't thought out what I am writing.  One of my issues since childhood has been my inability to sleep well.  I'm a borderline insomniac whereby I'd lay awake for hours before falling asleep.  Fast forward to this experiment.  I was extremely skeptical about it.  I felt that I'd never be able to get to sleep.  The first few days were indeed like that.  I'd lay down for the prescribed time and not be able to sleep.  An interesting observation, over time even if I don't fall asleep, just laying down is enough to recharge me - albeit it's not a full charge by any means. 

Moving forward, I think that I'm adjusted to the 6 hour schedule.  I'm still not convinced that this schedule is sustainable.  I currently have flexibility in my job whereby I'm able to work from home and control my schedule around my sleeping.  If my work situation changes or I have to travel, I'm not sure how this would translate?  Time to go, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment